Life & Living

Ask Angela

Ask Angela – Nov21

Angela Gifford

Angela Gifford

Managing Director of
Able Community Care

01603 764567 

Able Community Care has been in the same family for nearly four decades and now provides live-in care services throughout the UK. Since 1980 we have provided care and have met with thousands of families who are seeking an alternative to moving into a residential care home. Meeting people inevitably leads, either at the time of an assessment or even years later, to questions for which people are looking for answers.

Information around all aspects of care is available but the road to finding out, especially at a time of crisis, about specific factors can be difficult and stressful. Able Community Care receives calls and emails on a regular basis with people asking if we can help with their search for information.

Recently these questions have been asked of us…

Angela Gifford, Managing Director of Able Community Care answers your questions…

Question: What is a Personal Independence Payment, how do you apply and how long does it take to receive funding if you are eligible?

Answer: A Personal Independence Payment (often referred to as PIP) is a financial payment that helps towards the extra costs which can be caused by  long term ill health or because of a personal disability. It is for individuals between the ages of 16 and 64 years of age.

The Government website: › pip › how-to-claim gives eligibility details and how to apply. The Citizens Advice Bureau can assist if you have difficulty. Currently the average time from application to receiving PIP is approx. 12 weeks.

Question: I have two items of disability equipment from a relative who has died. A wheelchair and a Zimmer frame which I have offered to my local hospital, but they do not take them. Where can I donate them to?

Answer: If you ask the question online of ‘where can I donate disability equipment to’ there are several charities, including those who send such equipment overseas, that will come up and be very pleased to receive them.

Question: An elderly relative who has mobility problems and no near neighbours, is unable to safely take her bin to the road for the bin men to collect. Is it possible that they can come down her path, take the bin, empty it, and replace it?

Answer: You can apply for help putting your bin out for collection if you meet certain conditions, such as if you are disabled, have a medical condition or an injury. Contact your local Council either by phone or online and ask for Assisted Bin Collection.

Question: Can I buy Christmas cards for specific charities online?

Answer: Yes, Cards for Good Causes has a website which displays and enables card orders from dozens of charities and gives details when you choose a card how much of the proceeds goes to the charity themselves. Visit: