Life & Living

Ask Angela

Ask Angela – Jan 23

Angela Gifford

Angela Gifford

Managing Director of
Able Community Care

01603 764567 

Able Community Care has been in the same family for nearly four decades and now provides live-in care services throughout the UK. Since 1980 we have provided care and have met with thousands of families who are seeking an alternative to moving into a residential care home. Meeting people inevitably leads, either at the time of an assessment or even years later, to questions for which people are looking for answers.

Information around all aspects of care is available but the road to finding out, especially at a time of crisis, about specific factors can be difficult and stressful. Able Community Care receives calls and emails on a regular basis with people asking if we can help with their search for information.

Recently these questions have been asked of us…

Angela Gifford, Managing Director of Able Community Care answers your questions…

Question: I have decided, because of my age, to give up driving and will give my car to my daughter. I have been told that the tax disc has to be cancelled and she will have to re-apply. Is this correct?

Answer: Yes, while car owners were previously able to carry over any remaining months of tax to a new vehicle, this is no longer the case regardless of whether you sell the car or transfer ownership to a family member. At the time of transfer or selling, you should advise the DVLA as soon as possible and a refund for any remaining time will be sent to you. The person getting the car from you needs to advise the DVLA that they are the new owner immediately.

Question: Who qualifies for a Blue Badge Parking Disc?

Answer: There are two categories in the main about who qualifies for a Blue Badge Parking Disc. People who qualify automatically, for example you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), and individuals who can apply because one of several factors apply e.g. you find walking very difficult due to pain, breathlessness or the time it takes.

Individuals who are in the second situation need to apply to their local Council who will make the decision to issue one or not.

Visit then search for Blue Badges and you will get further, full information including slightly differing situations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

There is also information about using your Blue Badge if you are intending to travel outside of the UK.

Question: Do you have to pay tax on a life insurance policy payout?

Answer: There is no specific tax on the financial benefit paid out when a person dies, however, it may be subject to Inheritance Tax if the benefit forms part of the deceased person ‘s estate. While there is no specific tax on life insurance, either when bought or in the event of a valid death claim, the value of the life insurance policy may be subject to Inheritance Tax if it forms part of the deceased’s estate.

Question: If someone has recently died, how can you check if they made a will?

Answer: If you want to search for the will of a person who died recently, you can apply to the Probate Service for a standing search to be made. They will check their records to see if a grant of probate has been made in the twelve months before your application and they will continue to check for six months afterwards.

Join to get our magazine in your inbox