Life & Living

Ask Angela

Ask Angela – May 23

Angela Gifford

Angela Gifford

Managing Director of
Able Community Care

01603 764567 

Able Community Care has been in the same family for nearly four decades and now provides live-in care services throughout the UK. Since 1980 we have provided care and have met with thousands of families who are seeking an alternative to moving into a residential care home. Meeting people inevitably leads, either at the time of an assessment or even years later, to questions for which people are looking for answers.

Information around all aspects of care is available but the road to finding out, especially at a time of crisis, about specific factors can be difficult and stressful. Able Community Care receives calls and emails on a regular basis with people asking if we can help with their search for information.

Recently these questions have been asked of us…

Angela Gifford, Managing Director of Able Community Care answers your questions…

Question: My husband and I are in our 70’s and have, during our working lives, been employed by several companies and businesses. We were wondering if we had paid into any pension schemes, but we cannot really remember. How can we find out?

Answer: One way in which you can find out is by going to: The Pension Tracing Service on GOV.UK. This free service traces a pension you’ve lost track of, even if you don’t have the contact details of the pension provider.

If a person has forgotten about old bank accounts, current and/or savings, or have lost track of any Premium Savings Bonds, (where combined it is estimated billions of pounds are lying unclaimed), you can visit where you can complete a free form to trace any that are lying dormant and the website has further helpful information relevant to a search.

Question: A friend in her late 80’s has reduced mobility and finds climbing the stairs to her bathroom extremely difficult. Would she be eligible for a free, stair lift?

Answer: You could possibly get a Disabled Facilities Grant from your Council which can cover improving access to rooms and facilities, for example with a stairlift, or level access shower. (Available in England and Wales only).

To get the grant, you, or someone else living in the house:

Must have a disability.

• Intend to live in the property during the grant period (usually 5 years but this can be shorter, for example, if the person is terminally ill).

The council needs to be happy that the work is:

• necessary and appropriate to meet the disabled person’s needs.

• reasonable and can be done, depending on the age and condition of the property.

The person wishing to claim the Grant will receive a care needs assessment from the local council. Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) are awarded through financial means testing and a person may or may not be asked to contribute.

Question: Can you get free incontinence products on the NHS?

Answer: You may be able to get incontinence products on the NHS depending on your local integrated care board (ICB). To qualify for NHS products, you may need to be assessed by a healthcare professional. (ICB’s  are: statutory bodies that are responsible for planning and funding most NHS services in a local area)

Join to get our magazine in your inbox