Able Community Care has been in the same family for nearly four decades and now provides live-in care services throughout the UK. 

Since 1980 we have provided care and have met with thousands of families who are seeking an alternative to moving into a residential care home. 

Meeting people inevitably leads, either at the time of an assessment or even years later, to questions for which people are looking for answers.

Information around all aspects of care is available but the road to finding out, especially at a time of crisis, about specific factors can be difficult and stressful. Able Community Care receives calls and emails on a regular basis with people asking if we can help with their search for information.

Recently these questions have been asked of us…

Question: I understand that new legislation says that all care workers and care professionals who come into any care home will need to have been vaccinated re Covid-19, but when is this from please?

Answer: The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) have amended the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014 so that, from 11 November 2021, all care home workers and other visiting professionals will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have an exemption or there is an emergency.

Question: What are the emergency numbers we should all have to hand for when one occurs?

Answer:  The emergency numbers are:

111 is when you need advice or medical treatment quickly, and you cannot wait for an appointment to see your doctor.

999 this is the number for the emergency services – the ambulance, police and fire services. This is when there is a medical emergency – someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk. 

101 is the non-emergency number for situations that do not require an immediate police response.

112 This operates exactly the same as 999 and directs you to exactly the same emergency call centre. The important thing about 112 is that it will work on a mobile phone anywhere in the world.

119 is to book a Coronavirus test.

105 is if there’s an electrical emergency.  Call 105 from your mobile or landline and the telephone service will automatically direct you to the network distributor’s emergency number for your area. 

Longer number but still vital in an emergency:

Gas leak emergency
Call the Gas Emergency number on 0800 111 999

Question: Is it possible to purchase gift cards to use in opticians?

Answer: Yes, Specsavers launched the first optical gift card in 2013 but now many opticians and other stores offer them. They can be used to purchase glasses, designer frames, sunglasses or contact lenses.

Question: Who is eligible to receive a shingles vaccine and do you have to have one every year?

Answer:  The shingles vaccination is available to all people between the ages of 70 and 79 years. It is a one-off vaccination and can be given to you at your local GP surgery. 

Contact Able Community Care LTD

T: 01603 765567


Join to get our magazine in your inbox