This dessert is sure to impress at Easter!
Ingredients: serves 4
• 170g good quality dark chocolate
• 7 free range egg whites
• ¼ tsp lemon juice
• 40g caster sugar
• 1 x 226g jar of ART’s jam: choose from Bramble Jam, Chocolate Wine Conserve, Jolly Jam or Tayberry Jam
• 1 bag of mini chocolate eggs
– Into four glass individual portion bowls: spoon 1-2 tablespoons of your chosen jam into each bowl and put the bowls in the fridge to chill, so the jam solidifies slightly and does not blend with the addition of the mousse later.
– Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (Don’t allow the bowl to touch the water otherwise it will burn the chocolate).
– Whisk the egg whites and lemon juice in a large, clean bowl until they form soft peaks. The lemon will stabilize the egg whites making them easier to work with and help to prevent over-whisking.
– Add the sugar and continue to whisk until firm peaks form on the whisk when it is removed from the mixture. (Be careful not to whisk beyond this point as the egg whites will start to split.)
– When the chocolate has melted, remove the bowl from the heat, whisk in a third of the egg whites quickly and vigorously into the hot chocolate until thick and well combined. (If you add it too slowly then their cold temperature will make the chocolate solidify and result in a lumpy mousse.)
– Fold the remaining egg whites into the mixture, using a spatula, until all of the egg is completely incorporated into the chocolate.
– Spoon the mousse evenly over the jam in the glass bowls and chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours, until set.
– To serve, garnish with a couple of mini eggs for each mousse and then put the rest in a bowl to accompany your dessert.