Ingredients (serves 2)
For the duck
• 2 Gressingham duck legs
• 1 tin of cooked cannellini beans, drained
• 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
• 1 small sprig fresh rosemary, leaves picked
• 100g unsalted butter
• 1 hispi cabbage, cut in half, core removed
• 1 lemon, cut in half
• 100ml vegetable oil
For the salsa verde
• 1 small bunch of flat leaf parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
• 1 small bunch basil, leaves picked and roughly chopped
• 2 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
• 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
• 100ml red wine vinegar
• 1 tbsp small capers, drained and roughly chopped
• 100ml olive oil
A delicious, dine in treat.
Pre-heat your oven to 180°c or 160°c fan, gas mark 4. Pat the duck legs dry and season with salt and pepper. Place the duck legs on a baking tray, skin side up, and roast for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. While the duck is roasting combine all the salsa verde ingredients and set aside.
Place a pan on medium heat with half of the vegetable oil and sweat off the onion, garlic and rosemary until the onion has softened, try not to colour. Add in the beans and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes. If you feel the mixture is drying out add a touch of water. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and a squeeze of lemon. Carefully transfer the mix into a blender and blitz until smooth. Season to taste and add a little water if too thick. Transfer back to the original pan.
Place another pan on a medium heat with the remaining vegetable oil and lay all the cabbage in, cut side down, season with salt and pepper. When it starts to char to a dark colour, but not burnt, turn on to the other cut side until this also colours. Squeeze the juice of the remaining half lemon over the cabbage. Transfer to a baking tray and place in the oven for the last 10 to 15 minutes of the duck cooking time.
When you are ready to serve, gently re heat the bean purée and divide onto two plates. Place the hispi cabbage and roasted duck leg on top with the salsa verde served in a separate ramekin. Any juices from the cabbage tray can be poured over the duck.