The addition of truffle oil gives this dish a delightful air of indulgence. The jus can be made a day or two beforehand and gently
re-heated when needed.
Ingredients: serves 4
• 1 whole Gressingham duck (approx 2.2 kg)
• 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
• 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
• 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
• 1 garlic bulb, cut in half
• 2 sprigs rosemary
• 2 Tbsp light olive oil
• 4 large or 8 medium field mushrooms
Spiced red wine jus
• 1 Tbsp light olive oil
• 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
• 1 tsp ground allspice
• Pinch of ground nutmeg
• 175ml good red wine
• 175ml port
• 1 sprig rosemary
• 1 sprig thyme
• 800ml chicken stock
• 2 Tbsp butter
• 1/2 tsp sugar
– Preheat the oven 200°C. Remove the giblets from the duck (if included) and weigh to calculate the roasting time. It will need 20 minutes per 500g plus an additional 20 minutes.
– Pat the skin dry with kitchen paper and prick with a fork. Season well and place one garlic clove in the cavity.
– Place all the vegetables and herbs, apart from the mushrooms, in a large deep sided roasting tray and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the oil over and put the duck on top. Place in the oven.
– Approx 30 minutes before the end of cooking time, carefully add the mushrooms to the roasting tray and use the juices to baste them. When the duck is cooked, remove from the oven and rest in a warm place for 30 minutes before carving. Drizzle the truffle oil
over the mushrooms and the duck.
– While the duck is resting, put the oil in a pan on a low to medium heat and sweat off the onions until they soften and begin to caramelise.
– Add the allspice and nutmeg and cook for 10 minutes on a low heat adding a dash of water if drying out.
– Add the port, wine and hard herbs, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until liquid has reduced by half. Pour in the stock and reduce by half again. Carefully pass the liquid through a sieve into a new pan and once again bring to a boil. Take off heat. Check for seasoning , whisk in the sugar and butter.
– Carve the duck, share out the truffle mushrooms and serve with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables.